|Variants||1.4, 1.4 beta|
|Release Date|| 1.4 beta — 5/19/2009|
1.4 — 7/2/2009
|Download|| Official installers:|
|« 1.3||2.0 »|
Scratch 1.4 had the most new features of any 1.x release.
- Motor Blocks added to use with LEGO WeDo robots
- Sensing: Asking and answering supported; palette reordered; a Reporter Block can be dropped into the sprite choice in the () of () block; a line is added between Loud? and () Sensor Value
- Operators: Name changed from Numbers; new string blocks (join () (), letter () of (), and length of ()); comparing Booleans (>, =, <) accept strings
- Lists: () contains () added
- Blocks can be clicked on once to activate
The User Interface was heavily reconstructed in Scratch 1.4. Changes included:
- The Green Flag and Stop Sign were redrawn to be smaller, and were put in a different position
- Mouse-pointer readout moved onto one line
- The "new sprite" buttons are redrawn and repositioned, and have the text "New sprite:" before
- A new Stage size: small stage mode
- Buttons to switch between regular, small, and Presentation Mode are in the top right, above the flag and stop sign
- All the buttons in the toolbar were replaced with 4 menus: File, Edit, Share, and Help. Language, Save, and Share also had icons on the left of the menus.
- The Project Notes button was removed, and placed in the File menu
- In the beta, Mesh could be accessed by shift-clicking the Share menu (see enabling Mesh for how to get it in the release)
- A webcam could be used to create a costume, by using the "camera" button in the Costumes pane
- Grips removed from the scrollbars
- The logo was redrawn.
- Main article: Paint Editor (1.4)
- Only one type of color-picker is shown at a time
- An icon of the other color picker is shown on the right; clicking will switch
- Tools are on left-top
- "Clear" button is next to "import"
- Rotation center and zoom buttons moved beneath color picker. Rotation center is center-aligned; zoom is right-aligned
At Scratch Day 2009, a beta was released. It featured Mesh and some UI differences. These included:
- Menus had a square next to the top item
- The "beta" tag from 1.2 beta was put back.
- In the paint editor:
- Standard color-picker had only 3 shades
- Full color-picker took up entire area (clicking a color went back to standard picker)
- Zoom was center aligned
The same version was publicly released on the site on June 5, 2009 as the "release candidate".
In 2012, versions 188.8.131.52-184.108.40.206 were released. These are the Linux version of 1.4, for distributions that support Debian installers (Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.) as well as RPM-based ones (Fedora, Red Hat, etc.) Each version features only incremental bug fixes. They are not available on Windows or Mac OS X.
- See also: Category:Scratch Program Images
The redrawn Scratch Logo