(Redirected from 3.0)
|This article or section contains information about a feature from a future version of Scratch that is unreleased and is subject to change. Please cite any info added in order to prevent speculation.|
|This page has links to outside of the Scratch website and Wikipedia. Always remember to stay safe when using the internet since we can't guarantee the safety of other sites.|
Though the public can currently test Scratch 3.0, a public alpha release is planned for the first quarter of 2018. The final release date is unknown. No name has officially been decided for the next version of Scratch, but according to Scratch Team member Andrew Sliwinski (thisandagain), it will most likely be called "Scratch 3.0", following the trend.
The following is a partial list of new features that Scratch 3.0 may contain:
- Mobile device support via an HTML5 based editor.
- "Set pen transparency to" and "change pen transparency by" blocks. 
- Sound effect blocks which change how a sound sounds.
- A “[string] contains [string]” block that reports whether the first string contains the second.
- An “item # of [string] in [list]” block that reports the item number of the first match of the string, or 0 if no such value is found.
- Several extra options for the “touching ()?” boolean, including “any edge”, “mouse-position”, and “left edge”.
- A “glide [number] secs to [drop down]” block that acts like ”go to [drop down]” with glide.
- Pen Blocks are an extension, and not shown by default.
A design chart for the Move () Steps block.
An old design chart for some horizontal blocks. There aren't any in the released version at https://llk.github.io/scratch-gui/
The comment for blocks.
- "Editor" The "wrapper" for all of the various pieces of Scratch 3.0.
- The blocks interface
- Virtual machine (the thing that makes a Scratch program run / work / execute)
- Rendering engine
- Audio engine
- thisandagain. (08/06/2017). "We are expecting the public alpha to be available in the first quarter of 2018." https://scratch.mit.edu/users/thisandagain/#comments-36571385
- thisandagain. (18/5/2016). "No name has been decided, but most likely it will simply be called 'Scratch 3.0'." https://scratch.mit.edu/users/thisandagain/#comments-23456121
- ErnieParke. (23/12/2016). https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/232115/
- mres. (19/5/2016). "Scratch Blocks will be suitable for a broad range of devices (from mobile phones to desktops)." https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/199904/
- thisandagain. (16/2/2017). "Decision from design discussion:
change pen transparency by  :: pen
set pen transparency to  :: pen" https://github.com/LLK/scratch-vm/issues/412#issuecomment-280118002
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). ‘Implement “[string] contains [string]” reporter.[title]’ https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/601
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). ‘Implement “item # of [string] in [dropdown]”.[title]’ https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/600
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). ‘Update “touching [drop down]?” reporter.[title]’ https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/599
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). ‘Implement “glide [number] secs to [drop down]”.[title]’ https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/598
- ericrosenbaum. (3/10/2017). "We are moving the pen blocks to an extension." https://github.com/LLK/scratch-vm/issues/736