(Redirected from 3.0)
|This article or section contains information about a feature from a future version of Scratch that is unreleased and is subject to change. Please cite any info added in order to prevent speculation.|
|This page has links to sites outside of the Scratch website and Wikipedia. Always remember to stay safe when using the Internet, since we can't guarantee the safety of other sites.|
|Release Date||Currently Unreleased|
The public alpha release was released at https://preview.scratch.mit.edu in January 2018. The final release date for the online version of Scratch 3.0 is set for an August 2018 release. The offline version of Scratch 3.0 will come later. No name has officially been decided for the next version of Scratch, but according to Scratch Team member Andrew Sliwinski (thisandagain), it will most likely be called "Scratch 3.0", following the trend.
The following is a partial list of new features that Scratch 3.0 may contain:
- Mobile device support via an HTML5 based editor. Phones will be able to play but will not be able create projects at the August launch. Tablets will be able to play and create projects at launch. 
Set pen transparency to () :: penand
change pen transparency by () :: penblocks.
- Sound effect blocks which change how a sound sounds.
 contains ? :: operatorsblock that reports whether the first string contains the second.
(item # of [string] in [list v] ::list)block that reports the item number of the first match of the string, or 0 if no such value is found.
- Several extra options for the “touching ()?” boolean, including “any edge”, “mouse-position”, and “left edge”.
glide () secs to [ v] :: motionblock that acts like
go to [ v]with glide.
- Pen Blocks and MIDI sound blocks are extensions, and not shown by default.
- A thinner Helvetica font in the paint editor.
set drag mode[draggable v] ::sensingblock.
go to [front v] ::looksand
go [forward v] (1) layers ::looksblocks instead of
go to frontand
go back (1) layers.
(costume [number v] ::looks)and
(backdrop [number v] :: looks)blocks, which also include "name" in the dropdown, instead of
- The Video Sensing blocks will become an extension . There will also be 2 new extensions: Speech and Lego Boost.
- Internet Explorer will not be a supported browser. 
A design chart for the Move () Steps block.
An old design chart for some horizontal blocks. There aren't any in the released version at https://llk.github.io/scratch-gui/
The comment for blocks.
- "Editor" The "wrapper" for all of the various pieces of Scratch 3.0.
- The blocks interface
- Virtual machine (the thing that makes a Scratch program run / work / execute)
- Rendering engine
- Audio engine
- The less stable, but more updated editor
- The preview FAQ
- thisandagain (5/2/2018) "The preview was released in the first quarter of 2018 (preview.scratch.mit.edu came out a couple weeks ago). The full version will be released in August." https://scratch.mit.edu/users/thisandagain/#comments-42262529
- https://scratch.mit.edu/preview-faq "We plan to launch the online version of Scratch 3.0 in August 2018."
- thisandagain. (18/5/2016). "No name has been decided, but most likely it will simply be called 'Scratch 3.0'." https://scratch.mit.edu/users/thisandagain/#comments-23456121
- ErnieParke. (23/12/2016). https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/232115/
- mres. (19/5/2016). "Scratch Blocks will be suitable for a broad range of devices (from mobile phones to desktops)." https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/199904/
- https://scratch.mit.edu/preview-faq "Scratch 3.0 will work on desktop, laptop, and tablet devices (iOS and Android). In addition projects will be able to be played on mobile phones. Mobile phone project creation support is in progress but will not be available in August."
- thisandagain. (16/2/2017). "Decision from design discussion:
change pen transparency by  :: pen
set pen transparency to  :: pen" https://github.com/LLK/scratch-vm/issues/412#issuecomment-280118002
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). ‘Implement “[string] contains [string]” reporter.[title]’ https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/601
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). ‘Implement “item # of [string] in [dropdown]”.[title]’ https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/600
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). ‘Update “touching [drop down]?” reporter.[title]’ https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/599
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). ‘Implement “glide [number] secs to [drop down]”.[title]’ https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/598
- ericrosenbaum. (3/10/2017). "We are moving the pen blocks to an extension." https://github.com/LLK/scratch-vm/issues/736
- https://scratch.mit.edu/preview-faq "Internet Explorer will NOT be supported."