Alternatives to the Paint Editor
|This page has links to outside of the Scratch website and Wikipedia. Always remember to stay safe when using the internet since we can't guarantee the safety of other sites.|
The Paint Editor included in Scratch can be limited to advanced users, such as the lack of support in layers. In addition to the paint editor, there are also many alternative image editing programs that Scratchers can use in order to take advantage of advanced features or techniques that these offer. In addition to the Paint Editor included in Scratch, there are also many alternative image editing programs that Scratchers use in order to take advantage of more advanced features the Scratch paint editor does not support. Many of these alternatives are free; however some of them must be purchased before use. There are two main types of image editors: bitmap/raster editors and vector editors.
Some programs mentioned here are used for drawing and painting art, rather than editing images and applying special effects.
Bitmap/raster images are made from individual pixels. For example, if a bitmap image is resized bigger, the individual pixels will become bigger, making the image look pixelated. When a bitmap image is resized smaller, some pixels are removed. As such, quality will be lost when resizing these images.
The following items listed below are downloadable software that can be downloaded to a desktop, and can be used to make bitmap images.
- Microsoft Paint is a simple graphics editor (similar to the Paint Editor) that comes bundled free with Microsoft Windows. Current version: 6.1
- Paint.NET was designed to replace Microsoft Paint and includes more advanced features like layers, transparency, and graphical effects. It is free to download and use, but it is only available for Windows. Current version: 4.0.3
- GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free, open source image editor that is almost as powerful as Photoshop. It runs on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Current version: 2.8.10
- Adobe Photoshop
- Photoshop is a professional image editing program that is extremely powerful and runs on both Windows and Mac OS X. However, it is very expensive ($9.99 per month, with a required 12-month minimum). There is a less advanced version of the software, Photoshop Elements, that costs $99.99. Current version: Photoshop CC
- ArtRage is an image editor and designed to create beautiful paintings. However it's really expensive (however less than Photoshop) and costs $49.99 on Windows and Mac OS X (a demo can be downloaded here). It can be also bought on a mobile device for $4.99 or $1.99. Current version: 4.5.10
- FireAlpaca is a software designed for painting art rather than editing images and can be used also to create smooth and beautiful drawings. It can also be used to make comics. The version with ads is free and available for both Windows and Mac OS X, otherwise it costs $39.99 on Steam ad-free. Current version: 1.5.23
- PaintTool Sai
- PaintTool Sai is another piece of software designed for painting, available for only Windows. It costs money to use permanently, however the user can download a 31 day trial for free. Current version: Unknown
- Affinity Photo
- Affinity Photo is professional photo editing software for Windows, Mac and iPad. It can be bought for £48.99 without any subscription, A free trial is also available.
The following items listed below are apps that can be downloaded to a mobile device, and can be used to make bitmap images only.
- Tayasui Sketches
- Tayasui Sketches is a virtual canvas for sketches, which includes oil pastel and watercolors. Also, images can be exported through "pro export" into an iCloud drive or a photo library. Supports layers and transparency. This app is completely free, but there is a pro version upgrade for $4.99.
- Inspire Pro
- Inspire Pro Free features "breathtaking blending effects" and great precision at a fast speed. It has some special paint settings, such as glaze, random size and scatter. It also supports a pressure sensitive stylus! The pro version costs $9.99.
- MediBang Paint
- MediBang Paint is a painting application similar to FireAlpaca. MediBang comes with over 90 downloadable brushes, has a text cool with loads on fonts, has the ability to make comics and other resources like backgrounds. Has layers and transparency and supports stylus pressure. Has free cloud save and syncs brushes, colors, settings, etc for different devices. It is also possible to use the cloud to collaborate on MediBang projects. Images can be exported to the MediBang Paint online gallery. It is available on iTunes and Google Play for free.
Online Paint Editors
- Pixlr is a free online paint editor and photo editor. It includes layers, replace color, transform and more. There is also a desktop version available.
Vector images are made from mathematical calculations that form lines and objects. These images do not use pixels and therefore do not lose quality when zoomed in or out.
- Inkscape is a free, open source vector graphics editor. It is generally used for drawing images rather than editing them. Current version: 0.91
- Adobe Illustrator
- Illustrator is Adobe's vector graphics editor. It operates on the same monthly pay model as Photoshop and costs $9.99 per month (with a 12-month minimum). Current version: Illustrator CC
- Affinity Designer
- Affinity Designer is a proprietary vector graphics editor for Apple MacOS and Microsoft Windows by Serif Europe. It can be bought for £48.99 with no subscription. Current version: 1.5
The following items listed below are apps that can be downloaded to a mobile device, and can be used to make vector images only.
- Skedio is an easy to use vector paint editor. It can be downloaded for free on Android, but has in app purchases for $4.99 or below. Skedio does not support transparency and watermarks everything you export, unless the app is upgraded with pay.
Online Paint Editors
- Sumo Paint
- Sumo Paint is an online paint editor. It allows one to draw with realistic looking virtual paints, blenders, shapes, and tools such as the symmetry tool. One can also save paintings to the cloud or to one's computer. It is free, and does not require an account to use, though once could create an account. There is a downloadable version, but it is not required to run.
Bitmap/Raster and Vector
The following is a list of programs that can draw in Vector and Raster form.
- Sketch Club
- Sketch Club is a painting app for iOS. It has multiple different features for making bitmap and vector images. Images can be exported from it as a jpeg, a png, or a transparent png (an image without a background). It can be downloaded for $0.99.