| This page is in question to whether it is useful or not. You can discuss whether you want it deleted or not on its talk page.|
Reason: Used everywhere, not relevant to scratch
|This page has links to outside of the Scratch website or to Wikipedia. Always remember to be safe when using the internet since we can't guarantee the safety of other sites.|
|It has been suggested that this page's contents be merged with the page Scratch Discussion Forums. You can discuss this on the page's talk page.|
BBCode (bulletin board code) is a collection of formatting tags that are used to format users' posts in the Scratch Forums and the Text-based Games Forum. BBCode is based on the same principle as, and is similar to, HTML. BBCode can be used for things such as colored text, underlined text, pictures, and links.
Because of how BBCode works, content surrounded with a right-facing and left-facing square bracket will become invisible.
The following is the basics of BBCode.
- [b]Bold[/b] — Shows as Bold
- [i]Italics[/i] — Shows as Italics
- [u]Underline[/u] — Shows as Underline
- [color=#FF0000]Red text[/color] — Shows as Red text (Note: #FF0000 is the hexadecimal color code for red).
- [color=blue]Blue text[/color] — Shows as Blue text
|Note:||A list of all of the color names that can be used can be found here.|
Links and Images
[url]http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Scratch_Wiki[/url] — Shows as
[url=http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Scratch_Wiki]Scratch Wiki[/url] — Shows as
[img]http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/images/Scratch_Cat.png[/img] — Shows as
Images need the http:// prefix.
Scratch accepts images only from supported hosts. A full list can be viewed here.
Quotes and Code
[quote]This is an anonymous quote[/quote] — Creates an anonymous quote, with no name
[quote=Someone]I am being quoted[/quote] — Creates a quote box that starts Someone wrote:
[code]This is some code.[/code]
If it is long enough, it will have a scrollbar, like this:
BBCode does not work in code boxes.
Scratchers may want to add emoticons to their posts. Here is what can be created:
- :) or =) —
- :| or =| —
- :( or =( —
- :D or =D —
- :O or :o —
- ;) —
- :/ —
- :P —
- :lol: —
- :mad: —
- :rolleyes: —
- :cool: —
Scratchers can show scripts on the forums using the scratchblocks tag. Before the forum update on January 7, 2012, Scratchers could still show scripts by using an old system of forum blocks with the [blocks] and [/blocks] tags. There were many problems caused by lack of updates, such as 34 blocks missing and 5 that needed to be removed.
Some BBCode can be used to make certain effects:
- [color=Gainsboro] — Makes text invisible in normal posts (although it is slightly possible to see it)
- [color=LavenderBlush] — Makes text invisible in quotes (although it is slightly possible to see it)
- [color=#dedfdf] — Makes text completely invisible on normal posts
- [color=#f1f1f1] — Makes text completely invisible in quotes
- [color=transparent] — Makes all text completely invisible, no matter where it is, although it does not work on Internet Explorer 8 and below.
- [b][color=black] — Even bolder
- Putting BBCode inside other BBCode tags makes the BBCode show up instead of the output; for example, "[i[b][/b]]" would show as [i]
- [url=page url][img]image url[/img][/url] — Linked image
- Links do not need the http:// prefix, the forum adds it automatically (images do need it)
- Links beginning with ftp. get the ftp:// protocol added automatically
- [url=link][color=color] — Colored link, but the underline stays blue
- [url=link][color=color][u] — Colored link, with colored underline
The following are some of the most popular suggestions for BBCode:
- Text alignment
- Sizes—see below
- Strike-through—see below
|“||Good ideas! I would certainly like to see some new functionality in BB code - I could really use that font setting code.||”|
Scratch 2.0 BBCode
In Scratch 2.0, several more BBCode tags that have been added:
- [big] — Creates big text
- [small] — Creates small text
- [list(=...)] — Creates a list
- [*] — List item
- [s] —
- [center] — Center aligns text
- [wiki] — Like [url], but links to the specified title on the Scratch Wiki
- [wikipedia] or [wp] — Like [url], but links to the specified title on Wikipedia
- [google] — Like [url], but links to the specified title on Google
- [dictionary] or [dic] — Like [url], but links to the specified title on http://dictionary.reference.com
Sometimes, BBCode is used to spam the forums. This is most often done using blocks and is often referred to as block spam. Other spam includes posting irrelevant images, dangerous links, and hard to read text.
|This article or section is currently undergoing major changes by Imaginizer (talk | contribs) . Please avoid largely modifying this page's contents until this template has been removed.|
BBCode is usually combined to make text unique. Here are some examples
Welcome To Earth Games
[color=tan][b]Welcome To Earth Games[/b][/color]
Most Wanted Position:
2nd Most Wanted Position:
Time on Scratch:
Activity per Day: /10
How Would You Help?: