Comment (website feature)
(Redirected from Comments)
- This article is about the kind of comment seen on the website. For the comment attachable to a script, see Comment (programming feature).
Comments are used mainly to give feedback and constructive criticism on projects and studios. They are also used to message, notify, ask questions, and have a conversation with scratchers. Comments are the primary mode of communication on the Scratch website.
- See also: Messages and Notifications
When a comment is posted, a message is sent to the owner of the project or profile. Users are also notified when their comments are replied to.
- Main article: Scratch Emoji
Emojis are features in comments which allow one to create specific images, by typing an underscore, the name of the image, followed by another underscore. The images which can be created in comments include Scratch Cat (_meow_) and Gobo (_gobo_).
Other Emoticon Suggestions
Many other suggestions for emoticons have been made. Here are some of the popular ones:
- _woof_ or _dog_
- _pico_, _giga_, _tera_ and _nano_
Comments can be abused in many ways, all of which are considered spam. These include:
- Replying to the first comment on a project with "lower" and "lowest".
- Linking to one's unrelated projects or advertising.
- Pleading for attention.
- Posting one's view number. Like "2nd view!" and "100th view!".
- Posting one's love or favorite number. Like "100th love it!".
- Replying to a comment saying how long ago it was posted, like "Now ago" and "0 minutes ago".
- Posting "1st", "first comment", or "I'm the only one who posted".
- Posting the aforementioned "", "", or "" icons in certain contexts.
- Posting inappropriate or hateful messages.
Inappropriate and spam messages should always be reported.
There are a few restrictions on comments:
- One must be logged in to comment (prevents spam).
- Comments may be no longer than five hundred characters.
- A comment cannot be posted if the user recently made three similar comments.
- Comments must be appropriate: a censor prevents swearing and offensive language. A "Report" option is listed next to the "Reply" button, with which users may report disrespectful comments and spam. If the comment is censored, the user may be muted for the day.
- Users owning a project or studio may disable comments.
- New Scratchers must wait 30 seconds between posting comments.
- Comments can't be blank (no characters), but there is a workaround that allows a user to post an empty comment.
Constructive criticism is advice that is given to someone which is useful and intended to help or improve something. The Scratch Team encourages Scratchers to leave constructive criticism in comments on others' projects, rather than mean, unhelpful, or spam ones. Good constructive criticism usually points out a project's strengths, then gives ideas for future improvement.