A music project is a project that is based or centered upon music. They can involve music generated by the Scratch program, music files that are imported into the project or music recorded with the Scratch program.
Projects that have a song or piece of music playing in the background of a game are not considered as music projects. Popular forms of music projects are interactive instruments, music videos, and games where you have to strike, hit, or play notes in a sequence to play a song (known as a rhythm game). Other forms of music project may involve videos or recordings of Scratchers performing a piece of music, or a video or recording of another musician or artist. Some significantly less common types of music project involve music theory or tuning.
There are many different instruments that Scratchers choose to make a project on. They range from the piano to the drums to the trumpet. Sounds can be generated by the Scratch program, which allows the user to change the instrument. Currently, there are 21 different instrument timbres that can be used. Alternatively, for a more realistic sound, Scratchers can record themselves with the microphone in the Scratch program.
AMV stands for "Animated Music Video." These are animations that play music, and animate accordingly with somewhat relation to the lyrics and tune of the song played. They are very popular across the site and often reach the front page.
Music from Games or Movies
Some projects recreate music from games or movies. This can be done by using sound blocks, or by using a recording or video. This type of music project is not to be confused with game projects that simply have music playing in the background.
Some projects play existing songs in reverse, often made for amusement and humor. This is made with the Sound Editor.
Some Scratchers compose their own music and release it on Scratch. Music can be created in a digital program, or can even be a recording.
Some users prefer to make music in Scratch by taking advantage of its sound blocks. Users can build scripts with music blocks and have it play in sequence, or have two sets of these scripts play at the same time to create chords.
Animated Music Videos (AMV):
- Radioactive AMV by kittymitty6868
- Paralyzed AMV by forever-
- What a Wonderful World by Awesomator8859
- Proof Recording (on violin) by Wolfshadow11
- On my Own Cover by ZaharaMar
- ~ You're Gonna Miss Me ~ by 4LeafClovR
Game music (music from games):
- FF1 battle music by death eater
- Sonic Colors Soundtrack by PrincessPandaLover
- Super Mario 64: The Soundtrack by PikmanDude
- Phineas and Ferb theme song...backwards! by mathfreak231
- Spongebob theme song BACKWORDS?! by Wolffeather
- Labyrinth Zone - Sonic 1 Reversed by gumcraft8
- Bad Music #2 - SYNTHS! by P110
- Some Music I Composed by Superdoggy
- Death Waltz by HaimingRMX
- PPL Single: Step On It! by PrincessPandaLover
- A random song made by only music blocks by KrIsMa
- Music List API by Dylan5797
- Scratch Block Music by PreoKid
It has been reported that over 40,000+ URLs to music projects on Scratch have been requested for take-down, probably due to the use of copyrighted music. This has become viral and caused an outcry on the Scratch Community, similar to the notable events of Removed Pac-Man Project and Animation Hall of Fame.